Keystone Kidspace has funded the purchase of the York Armory! Thank you to the City of York, the Redevelopment Authority of the County of York and Kevin Schreiber, CEO of the York County Economic Alliance for helping to make this vision a reality.
Reclaiming an Historic Landmark
On March 6, 2018, Keystone Kidspace funded the purchase of the York Armory. Now this beautiful historic landmark is under local control with the Redevelopment Authority of the County of York. It is ready to be reclaimed for the community and become an important anchor in the emerging family-friendly Codorus Corridor, joining the York Revolution, York Academy Regional Charter School, and the soon-to-be-completed York County Heritage Rail Trail and the York County History Center.
A Gateway to York City
Marking the northern entrance to York City, Keystone Kidspace and its neighbors signify the community’s commitment to our future. The concentration of family entertainment and educational activities opening along the Codorus Creek will provide a variety of opportunities for families to grow as part of the fabric of our community through playing, learning and experiencing all that York has to offer.
The York Armory--A Community Landmark
The York Armory was built in 1913 as a Pennsylvania National Guard Armory. It is located on North George Street in downtown York, adjacent to the Codorus Creek and just north of the city’s historic district. The imposing building is constructed of brick with cast stone details in the Late Gothic Revival style. It was designed by McCormick and French, a prolific armory designer in Pennsylvania’s central region.
On the interior, the York Armory follows a typical early twentieth century armory plan, with administrative offices on the first floor, a large open drill hall on the second floor and a shooting range in the basement. It is one of seven armories in Pennsylvania with a second floor drill hall.
The building has functioned as a National Guard armory since its construction with an organizational maintenance shop constructed to the rear of the building in the 1950’s. The Armory is listed on the National Register of Historic Places under a multiple property listing for Pennsylvania National Guard Armories constructed between 1777 and 1940.
Typically, armories were de facto community gathering spaces, with the large drill hall serving as space for basketball games, organizational meetings, dances, and fundraisers. In the past, the York Armory hosted league basketball games, carnivals, Boy Scout meetings, revival services, and community functions. It remains the only building of its type in York City today. Although it no longer functions as the community gathering place it once was, until recently it remained the home of the local National Guard unit.